It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Is this global warming? 

Post Is this global warming?
Is this really unusual? I've been here a number of years and don't remember this weather. It's Springtime, I know, but this seems strange to me to have to be worrying about this low a temperature and snow for days without a break. Anyone think it's strange?

Sun May 15, 2011 2:57 pm

Post Re: Is this global warming?
It's very strange. I write for a national trade publication and am working on some stories relative to the cherry crop from the Pacific Northwest. This is a very strange year for the growers, and those of us who love to indulge in cherries around the July 4 holiday are going to have to wait a bit for the gems to reach the grocery stores.

I haven't seen this kind of persistent cold weather and snowfall in the "spring" in all the years I've lived in Colorado. Isolated snowfall, yes. We even got a little snow on July 4 one year. But it seems our winter has been compacted into a few months in 2011. Look at it this way: in four months, it could be winter again... that is, if this one ends!

Makes you wonder.

Sun May 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Are other farmers thinking it's weird too? Are we going to see a shortage of fresh food because of this? This has been really hard on people trying to warm up and get outdoors. Food is going up because of fuel prices, I understand that. Is it going to go up more because of this late winter or just be slow getting to market?

I'm a little tired of this, but happy to have fire danger down. It's probably wrong to complain, but I am tired of the cold. I want to start my own garden.

Sun May 15, 2011 3:19 pm

4th & 5th grade field day is today at DCES -- don't know if they'll be able to do it. My granddaughter said maybe they'd move it to later in the week but the forecast isn't good then, either. The upside is we're less apt to have to evacuate. I can remember frost warnings and rain/snow mixes other years (the Hi Meadow burn was gotten under control due to the rain/snow in June), but I truly can't remember this much wind and cold for such a prolonged time.

Mon May 16, 2011 6:57 am

How did the field trip go? It wasn't bad around here yesterday except for slop from melting. The wind is supposed to be back today. That's the worst.

Tue May 17, 2011 7:11 am

The wind forecast must have changed. I don't see it now. We could put that in the Gratitude thread! \:D/

Tue May 17, 2011 7:50 am

vroomm wrote:
How did the field trip go? It wasn't bad around here yesterday except for slop from melting. The wind is supposed to be back today. That's the worst.

Field Day happened and was a rousing success. The younger kids' is today - hope they get it done.

Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 am