It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 am

Lillian Wissel not good for Commissioner 

Post Lillian Wissel not good for Commissioner
I was hoping a viable candidate would come forward to run for Commissioner against Dowalby. He's somebody who could easily be beaten, I think. But the only person who has proven she can't beat him has now decided to run for the seat. Again. After losing by an embarrassing margin to Mark in 2008, Lillian Wissel must think it was a mistake because the seat should be hers.

Since neither one of them are really fiscally intelligent, it might not make any difference. But I found something written by Lillian Wissell when she served as an appointed commissioner before. She says that the view is different when you're sitting in the BOCC seat and gee whiz, the county needs more money to spend.

"While we all would like to think that we might know more than those currently sitting
on the Board of County Commissioners regarding County finances, there is always the
other side of the story. Seeing the day-to-day operation through the eyes of the BOCC, I
can honestly tell you that they do their best efforts, within the resources that are available.
Two things that stand out in my mind more than anything else that I have learned in these
past few months. There is very little money available, certainly not enough for all of the
needs."

I'm sure she got that winning Leni grin for writing that piece of suck-up. Some of us know how money is handled and know that the sympathy Mrs. Wissel shows for the poor misunderstood commissioners and their spending challenges is garbage.

She goes on to say:

"Contrary to what the legal newspaper has stated, our bookkeeping practices are in good
standing,"

And what would she know about good bookkeeping practices for a county government? Nothing. She gave some pretty silly answers when she ran in 2008.

This was written while John Tighe and Leni Walker were commissioners (with their beloved friend the county attorney as ringleader) making the decisions and making the mess we are still suffering with. The other two cut her out of almost all county business that they could get away with, and still she says the were doing such a good job. Good job of making sure that District 3 had no representation, is what they were doing. And she doesn't seem to even be smart enough to know it.

Sorry, but somebody who already likes what the rulers are doing isn't going to clean things up for us taxpayers. If she thinks the Walker-Tighe-Lawyer regime (worst in history of the county) were doing such a good job, why does she think she can help now?

I don't think the voters would want another elected official's wife voting on their budget, just like we don't want Tighe voting on his Sheriff's budget. So why would we want Dave Wissel's wife giving him influence on 1/3 of the BOCC when it comes to his money? I like Dave and I hope he runs again and wins, but his wife should work elsewhere, not on his budget approval.

Stupidest idea I ever heard of. It's a shame she will run and lose again to Dowalby and leave us stuck with him when a good candidate could have taken him out. :((

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:29 pm

Post Re: Lillian Wissel not good for Commissioner
Vroom ? is probably a county employee. As for Lillian Wissel's ability, after serving as commissioner in Jim Gardner's and Doc McKay's place, there were NO letters to the editor or emails to Park Bull stating that she had done an inadequate job.

Naturally, it is different being a commissioner and they always need more money. However, Lillian believes that there would be enough funds if all departments were required to stay within their budgets. There were many times that she voted against John Tighe and Leni Walker. The only way to understand Lillian is to attend the meetings she has set up as follows: Sweet Fanny Adams,Thursday, Feb.25, 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., Harris Park Community Center, Saturday, Feb.27th, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., Shawnee Tea Room, Sunday, Feb 28th, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and the Lake George Community Center, Saturday, March 6th 1 p.m. to 2 p.m..

As for Lillian voting on her husband's budget or any other controversial vote, she only has
ONE vote out of 3. The other 2 can always vote her down. Yes, I am a friend of Lillian's and hope that she is elected to try to bring the County and it's attorney up to snuff.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Quote:
Vroom ? is probably a county employee.

Are you married to MTNLIFE? What's with accusing everybody you disagree with of being a county employee, like they get paid to criticize your friend.? And even if I was, what's it to you? Were you unable to read the part where I want Doobie to lose? So what does my employment have to do with what I said. By the way, I never have worked for any government. How about you guys? It's your friend you are defending to be commissioner who has been the lifelong county employee.

Anybody who uses a stupid comment like that can't answer the argument so they try to distract with crap they have no idea about.

You think nobody wrote letters to parkbull and the flume complaining? Probably not. They just went to the ballot box and tossed her out. More effective than a letter, wouldn't you say?

So how about quitting the childish personal attacks and just stick to the issues. You guys complaining that you're being picked on all the time just sound like John Tighe and Mark Dowalby the current whiners in office.

Lillian is going to say the commissioners are doing something wrong so she needs to be in there to watch them. I never heard her speak out publicly to try to let us know what she thought they were doing wrong while she was in there collecting the paycheck. She just wrote that article I posted and said how good the bookkeeping system was and how hard the commissioners were working and we should try to understand them. So now she shouldn't criticize from the outside and complain about the bookkeeping, right?

The excuse is always "I only had one vote". It isn't "only" one vote. IT'S A THIRD OF ALL THE VOTES TO SPEND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. We need somebody with more smarts in handling money is all I'm saying. She never complained about what they were doing. So why did she keep quiet back then if she thought they were doing something wrong? She would still be only a third of the votes on the board, so I guess you're saying she still will be unable to stop anythng even if she's elected. Sounds like a lost cause to me. We need somebody who knows how to make a difference without the excuse of only being one of the three votes.

Call me old fashioned, but I don't believe in rewarding failure. It's just weird that she would come back again after losing as an incumbent and think she can win now. It just makes a mess and it's strange she (and you) can't figure that out.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:19 am

vroomm, calling you a county employee is the local "race card" accusation. You know how anybody who criticized Obama was called a racist? Anybody in Park County who criticizes some candidate is called a county puppet or something. Just look at how MTNLIFE always started out by calling people names. He sometimes didn't even have an argument about the subject, just attacking the person saying it. I think it mostly means the point has hit the mark. He finally disappeared.

Besides that, I agree with vroomm to the point that it's seems weird that Wissel would run again when she's going to be in the same race as her husband. The cozy election situation is going to be even more obvious, isn't it? I sure wouldn't want the Sheriff or Undersheriff's or even another commissioner's wife to run for commissioner. No difference. How do the politicians miss the obvious ethical questions around here? Are they all that uneducated?

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:50 am

There is a good example of Lillian Wissel's work as a commissioner right here on Park Bull.
Go to "Politics and Issues" then to "Your Vote 2010 - Candidates and Issues" click on, "Judge says commissioners abused discretion. Quoting Newsjunky on 11-2-07:
"This story has to do with a decision made by two county commissioners and former attorney, Stephen Groome to allow a friend of theirs to have a propane tank commercial "tank farm" on her property in South Park. That would have been a pretty sight, huh? Anyway, Walker and Tighe used memos from Groome and their highly-paid employee, Tom Eisenman to justiify a violation of their own rules. It was appealed by other land owners and a judge overturned the commissioner's decision. (Lillian Wissel was the other commissioner at the time, but she voted against this."
This is only one of the many times that Lillian not only stood up to the other two commissioners, but the county attorney, also. Lillian lost the election last year by only 203
votes with only 18% of the county voting.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:39 pm

Tough one, it isn't news when somebody votes in keeping with the law. That's their job. The story was that Leni Walker and John Tighe didn't vote according to the law. I sure don't remember Wissel coming out to us taxpayers and telling us about all of the things she thought the county was doing wrong. That's what I'm upset about. Why would she say they were doing such a good job when she was on the Board and they were voting to break their own regulations like that statement said? Even with them voting like that, she said they were doing a good job, so I guess she didn't want to rock the boat? If she's not going to rock the boat, she's not what we need.

And now she's going to complain about how they handle money after just writing that article about how well they were doing with the money they had and how good the bookkeeping system is? She just can't do what we need. She's too much of a government fixture and has to be careful not to shake up her husband's own budget by making the other 2 mad.

:frantic: I WANT A BOAT ROCKER!!!!!! :frantic:

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 pm

Mountain Mom I love your new sig. :roflol2:

I supported Wissel last time but that was because we couldn't get any other candidates. We need to look further and get a person with some more smarts in there who doesn't turn around and defend the commissioners and the bookkeeping system because she doesn't know any better.

This needs real digging into. Maybe an outside audit of the whole county like Graves wants to do with the SO. After all these years of the same people running the show, you're bound to find some areas where they've taken advantage of the fact nobody's looking. If the same crew stays in there, they just learn how to steal more and more every year. As long as they control it, they don't get caught.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:23 am

This is a answer to Mountain Mom's comment on 2/21/10. "I sure don't remember Wissel coming out to us taxpayers and telling us about all of the things she thought the county was doing wrong." Under what forum was she supposed to do this? By email?, letter?, fax? How does she know what taxpayers are concerned if they do not contact her? Also, there still is not a string of candidates for this position. We all have the same choice as last year. Wissel or Doobie. Has Doobie been doing an excellent job and telling the taxpayers about it?

For further information, Lillian Wissel has set up a web site which may answer some of your questions. If not, contact her personally since all her phone numbers are there. Her web site is: ELECTLILLIANWISSELCOMMISSIONER.COM.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:04 am

Tough One wrote:
This is a answer to Mountain Mom's comment on 2/21/10. "I sure don't remember Wissel coming out to us taxpayers and telling us about all of the things she thought the county was doing wrong." Under what forum was she supposed to do this? By email?, letter?, fax? How does she know what taxpayers are concerned if they do not contact her?

Yes. She should use any and all roads to inform the public if she thinks something was going wrong in our government. She was a SITTING COMMISSIONER - talk to the news and give them documents and proof. If she doesn't know how to get information out to the public then she shouldn't be in public office. The internet and forums are also there for anybody to use.

Your question is backwards. Are we supposed to have to write her every day and ask if anything went wrong today? How are we supposed to know something is going wrong if the commissioner doesn't let us know?

As a public servant part of the job would be to make public the things she thought were not right inside the government. Instead, she wrote that they were doing a good job and the bookkeeping was in good shape. You can't have it both ways. She had her chance and didn't help stop the mess. She also proved she couldn't beat Dowaliby so now we're going to be stuck with him because she's clueless.

I'm with Mountain Mom. I want a BOATROCKER not somebody who kisses up to the government and then tries to tell us something completely different. No way. [-(

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:21 pm

I was looking for something else and found this from the 2008 primary.

Dowaliby earned 57 percent of the votes, while Lillian Wissel earned 43 percent of the votes for the District 3 county commissioner seat.

Dowaliby said he was excited about his win.

"It's a lot of responsibility all of the sudden," he said.

Dowaliby will be the only name on the general ballot for District 3, but there is the possibility that a write-in candidate could run for the seat.

"I'm very grateful for the voters, and I'm going to do the best job that I can do," he said.

Wissel said she thought Dowaliby would be a good commissioner.

"It was a low voter turnout, but the citizens of the county spoke," she said. "The county had two good candidates, and Mark's a good candidate."

http://theflume.com/main.asp?Search=1&A ... onID=1&S=1

Don't know if it means anything in this race but I thought it was interesting to read. :?

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:11 pm

:sadly: It's amazing how people in Park County on the other side don't know how powerful the internet is. You can't just reverse yourself any more with search available. Whatever you say stays with you and if you say the opposite now, you get caught. With all of the things that have come out, she loses my vote too. I don't know what she was thinking getting in this race after what happened last time. I hope we get some other choices.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:11 am

Lillian sat on the BOCC twice and did nothing to help get the public more informed or stop the abuse of the credit cards.

Let Lillian win the primary then vote for Monica Jones in the general election. She's the only outsider who will get on their case for hiding public information and abusing the county credit card.

Lillian had a chance to talk to them about not wasting money on a new building but she decided not to bother. She's only interested in her own gain, not the public.

She's got to go just like Doobie has got to go. There's no difference in them. She's bragging about getting barely half the vote at assembly. Not so great - she can be beat.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:39 am

Forgot to mention. If she got that many votes at assembly, that means that the government people want her and that is bad for us.

Get it together!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:45 am

Hi.

I'm not new to the area but I am new to politics. I went to assembly for the first time ever (I'm 50 years old). There were 125 delegates there so I don't think the county had stacked the deck. I agree with many of the comments in this thread but my biggest concern is having the county assessor and a county commissioner that are married. That's an awful lot of power for a couple to have. Does anyone know if there is some sort of law about this? It just seems like it must be a conflict of interest.

What do the rest of you think?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:38 pm

I don't think there is any law against it, unfortunately. Just the law of good sense which doesn't seem to work well around here. But it isn't over, yet. Lillian has a bunch of bad history and it will all come out during this election.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:54 pm

For the last 25 years, I have been an observer frustrated at how things appear and have decided to become involved in order to help to make a difference in the political scene in Park County. Unfortunately if you want to be elected to an accountable/responsible position in our government you must play the GAME of politics. That doesn't mean nasty underhanded techniques are necessary. In reference to Lillian and her reign as the only elected candidate, I have a lot of input. This is a long term pattern which demonstrates her ability to somehow convince enough known delegates to vote for her at the assembly. This is the only place where she "shines" because she has somehow bamboozled this slim majority to vote in her favor. I have my opinion as to how it is done and I know that it will end when the majority of them are gone and she no longer sleeps with the assessor. Hence the importance of attending the precinct caucuses and voting out those who seem to always be there. At County Assembly the delegation were 125 known persons, whose names and addresses and phone numbers were provided to all candidates. This makes it a closed panel, a captive audience, a known entity, open to persuasive measures if they had no mind of their own or the courage to use it. Because the votes were split between Samantha Bertin and Mark Dowaliby we know everyone was not in favor of Lillian. AND, it is not a real representation of the peoples choice. I disregard this event as an exercise in futility and were I a potential candidate I would petition on to the ballot and stay home that day. There has been reference to the trying task of collecting signatures when petitioning on to the ballot. It is the process of relating to the very people you will represent if you do get elected to the office. At least that would give the candidate assurance that the people really did want them to run, boosting the morale that Lillian seems so determined to quell by continuing to speak out against a fair and balanced election process. My question for her is, " What makes them any less qualified as petitioning candidates? They filed legally with the state just as you did. Winning the race means competing in the arena of ideas and knowledge. At least they are talking to people who live in District #3, South Park County, south of Kenosha Pass, if you have forgotten! Out here where the vast spaces are not cluttered with nosy neighbors with citified needs. I know your world is centered around your core group in the Bailey area but this job means representing the people up here directly. Do you really have the qualifications to honestly do this job as well as another more grounded South Park resident might?"

It is very important to educate the people in district #3 about the election process and help them to see how important it is that they get involved in choosing their own commissioner. There is still time to register to vote and still time to change your affiliation in order to be registered 29 days before signing a petition. If you choose to go Republican you will actually have a choice of who will be on the November ballot, by voting in the Primary in August. It seems the people who do speak their opinion, do not like the County Assembly choice and this is the way to negate that result. You can register on line from the comfort of your home or office or even the library! Go to Colorado Secretary of State and choose 'elections'. This will take you to a choice to register anew or to verify and update your current information. You will be asked to provide your name, zip code and date of birth. Even I think this is easy and it will help you to participate in the choice of your district #3 commissioner.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Doesn't anyone ever get fed up with all the nepotism/cronyism so rampant in Park County these days? The County Assessor+County Commissioner candidate? The UnderSheriff+Public Services Director? The Mayor of FairPlay+Finance Director? And the Family Dynasty at Park County Road & Bridge/CDOT? Until the electorate (YOU, the citizens and registered voters!) overcomes their own apathy and indifference, absolutely nothing will change for the better. And that's what the nepotists+cronyists are counting on!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 pm

Hey, Carguy, you and I are sort of on the same wavelength in the same timewarp! Educating the people in district #3 is my new mission and doing it as soon as possible is so important. I believe most residents don't realize that the northern half of the county has more leverage than we do when it comes to elections. It is important to encourage registering and voting, getting involved in order to make that needed difference in the business as usual perception we have of our elected officials.

The existing Wissel stranglehold on the county political scene really bothers me and I don't want to give them anymore ammo.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:49 am

Visit pinecam.com>Forum Index>The Study-Pg. 1,2,3...and learn more about the two Humvee's acquired by PCSO, and some of the names behind some of the charges on those Park County Credit Cards.(Casino in Blackhawk,CO? Like Sweet Fanny Adam's, in Park County,for example, doesn't have a big enough meeting room and conference table??) VTSTR is quite right. Freedom Of Information is one of our cherished Freedoms...use it or lose it!

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:45 pm

why go to Pinecam. The actual credit card statement is posted right on Parkbull for all to see.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:12 pm