It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:57 pm

Platte Canyon Fire District Financial Reports 
Alert A+

Post Platte Canyon Fire District Financial Reports
There may be a story coming on these later, but Fire Board Candidate Rebecca (nobody) Van Hout has secured financial reports - disbursement journals - from the fire district for two months of 2010. She asked for the 3 months of Jan, Feb and Mar, but the request was not fulfilled. She received Feb, Mar and part of Apr that says it's all of April. It was released on Apr 22, so it seems unlikely that it is the final April report. When asked about Jan, the district informed Van Hout that they keep their books a month in arrears so they gave her reports starting with Feb instead. Not understanding how one could keep a set of books in any manner but arrears, Van Hout called the Chief back and asked what word she had to use to request January disbursements. Chief Davis promised to get her those reports.

For the moment, we have two months published in reconstructed PDF files.

February Disbursements
March Disbursements

(These are large files - allow time for download.)

Van Hout reports that her next request filed was for a list of gross earnings, compensation, benefits, etc. for all compensated employees, volunteers and directors. That and the January disbursements will be published when available.

Feel free to post comments after reviewing the documents. There are some oddities in the reports.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:22 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Platte Canyon Fire District Financial Reports
Ok forget my question in the other thread about how we find the financial statements. These are really interesting. I need to study them a bit.

They had almost $40,000 for one month in ambulance payroll! And $65,000 in other regular payroll?? For one month???

I can't keep using the thud smiley. I'll hurt myself. But this needs to be explained. All of you fools who voted for that tax increase - did you know they were burning through money to themselves like this?? They spent $200,000 in one month. More than half of it was their own pay!!!

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:26 am

There weren't even any fires, were there?

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:01 am

I hate to break it to them, but this is a deliberate violation of law if nobody asked for January payments and Davis refused to give it to her and gave her the wrong information instead. There is no such thing as making the excuse that payments are made in arrears so we won't give you the checks for January that you asked for. Giving you the part of April was to make you think you were getting 3 months like you asked. I'd have to see what the form said exactly. This looks like deliberate lies and a coverup of whatever they paid in January. Makes sense if that's when they pay all of their year-end bonuses, retirement, etc. This should be reported to the District Attorney for criminal prosecution.

If it's been more than 3 days and he didn't give you the January you asked for, yet, he is breaking the law. The only reason he would do that is a deliberate cheat and coverup. Again, I'd have to see exactly what the form said and when it was delivered to him. And, can you prove what you took and when?

Thanks for getting this out in the open. He is just delaying informing the public like he and his staff did all last fall to cover up the lies to get a tax increase. This needs to be prosecuted, in my opinion. And we need January. Hate to push but I'm furious now. Are we still going to see that January information? Didn't he ever cough it up?

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:56 am

I hate to be flip because this is really serious, but the chief seems unable to even put out the fire in his own pants. Liar, Liar. I agree that this should be prosecuted. Our sheriff won't do it. How about our DA? Will he ever go after a corrupt politician? So far, no. But everybody should contact the DA office in Fairplay about this. 719-836-2080.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:16 am

What happened to the post that was here? It quoted me but now it's gone before I could answer it. I'm upset that this information didn't get out earlier because the election ballots are already going in without information.

I still think that - this is too late, people.

This is just like the tax election. Deny, delay, disinform.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:17 pm

It doesn't help that information appears and then disappears.
I am tired of spending time and effort on a post only to have it disappear without any explanation.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:20 pm
Alert A+

Maybe I can help on this one. I started a post to quote 285. I was going to modify it to quote only a part of the message. The board froze or rebooted or something. When it started working again, I noticed the 285 post wasn't there any more. Nobody deleted it - it just froze, I think, and rebooted. The admins weren't even online. I was still working on my unfinished post, so it didn't make sense any more with the other one gone. I actually cancelled my post (or thought I did) which wasn't finished, but it seems to have posted, or I clicked the wrong button. When I came back and realized it posted while incomplete, I deleted it, but I think it went up and was there a while. Bizarre. It's happened before a long time ago, but it doesn't happen often, thank heavens. I didn't realize that my partial post with the unfinished quote had been submitted until I got back from my errands.

I don't know why it happened, but sorry. It sure is confusing, even when I saw it happen myself. 285 - I don't know of any way to get that post of yours back or I would do it for you.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:40 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for that Parkbull. I thought I was going crazy. Not that it's for sure I'm not. I have heard of something like that happening before but I thought they decided it was the software. Anyway, nothing we can do about it now. I didn't save a copy. I should start doing that.

I'd like to know what happened to the other documents the other candidate was getting. We haven't heard from her in a while. How long will he get away with not giving us the January reports? Is there enough time left for any of this to do any good? He's now bought several extra days with this latest stunt. There's only a week left.

I think that was the gist of my other phantom post. (((hammering this to the wall so it doesn't fall down)))

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:48 pm

285:

I met with Chief Davis for 3 hours on April 21. I had filed 5 separate FOIA requests. Here are the net results:

1. The fire district does not operate with bylaws (this surprised me).

2. I was verbally by the chief he does not want to disclose salaries and benefits, saying this is protected under Title 32 of Colorado Revised Statutes. I know this is incorrect, but thought it would be worthwhile to see the chief go on record saying he is exempt from such disclosure. nobody was kind enough to continue the battle. We must continue pursuing this. I noted that I received no written explanation for his not complying, and we can all draw the obvious conclusion as to why he did not put his reason for nondisclosure in writing as is required by the Open Records statute.

3. I received the March revenues and expenses.

4. I received a copy of the district's capital assets along with a depreciation schedule.

5. I have the full roster of full-time, part-time and volunteer firefighters by name, and this includes ambulance personnel.

6. I have a copy of details for the 2008 (actual), 2009 (current, as adopted this past December), and 2010 (as adopted by the board of directors).

There is a lot of information in here which needs to be studied, and I hope to go over it this week.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:10 pm
Alert A+

Doesn't #2 mean he has violated Title 24 of the law and possibly lied to do it? That might be worth filing on. Failure to comply, if convicted, is a misdemeanor and can carry fines and jail time. Plus it looks really bad after saying the public can have whatever they want and then he uses a made up law to block it, possibly because he doesn't want his volunteers to know what he and his officers and staff are really making.

Can you scan and supply the list of assets? The 2008 audit we already have online. The 2009 and 2010 aren't done, so probably of limited use because they can still change it. I'm sure they won't complete the audit until the June deadline, after the election. They could have done it earlier - it isn't that hard - but that wouldn't help them in the election. That's how the county does it, too. They actually extend the audit deadline in election years so the report comes out after it's too late to negatively affect the primary election.

I'll be glad to find server space for the asset list. :D Let our smart readers help study it. The 2008 audit report is still online here: http://sitepicture.com/highmtnpol/

nobody will want to know if the very expensive Painted Blue Flames assets are listed properly and how much depreciation has been applied to those. :twisted:

The "burning" question: Have we spent more on travel expenses and bonuses than putting out fires this year? :-B

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:48 pm
Profile WWW

ParkBull wrote:
Doesn't #2 mean he has violated Title 24 of the law and possibly lied to do it? That might be worth filing on. Failure to comply, if convicted, is a misdemeanor and can carry fines and jail time. Plus it looks really bad after saying the public can have whatever they want and then he uses a made up law to block it, possibly because he doesn't want his volunteers to know what he and his officers and staff are really making.

Exactly what I was "alluding" to in my post. In fact, and interestingly, my FOIA request does have the legal penalty on it at the bottom.

I will work on the asset list tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday morning.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:15 pm

See, I hate to be a pain in the butt, here, but that's what I'm talking about. Hasn't it been almost 2 weeks or a week and a half waiting to see those documents and by the time it's put off until Tuesday, there will be less than a week left until election? He conned you into walking away without a lot of the information and now you won't even share what you got. What good does it do to keep it hidden?

I scan documents all the time. Unless they're a weird size, it only takes a minute. Why is this taking weeks? :? You're playing into his hands by dragging this out forever. It's frustrating that the information is out there and you won't give it to anybody!! If you don't know how to scan it, how about faxing it to somebody who does?

GOOD GRIEF!! I give up. :faint:

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:34 pm

By my reckoning, today is April 25; I went to the station on April 21. This week has been a heavy newspaper deadline week for me.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:38 pm

But when did you file the forms to get the documents? You said at the meeting that you had already filed the forms the week before, didn't you?

By my reckoning, that's WEEKS to get anything done! Are you trying to help the Chief?

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:44 pm

As of today, it's months. But I'm glad to see that something finally got done. The headline says that the chief made excuses. Do we know what was actually requested?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:09 am

Something to consider when analyzing the financial information (when finally received) - Number of volunteer firefighters is declining (2005 Article).

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:26 am

Why would the firefighters volunteer when they see everyone else ripping the community off? If the chief is demanding a quarter of a million a year just to be a figurehead, why should the guys actually working the fires do anything for free?

Greed and corruption have ruined the American way of life.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:03 am
Alert A+

Beanie wrote:
Why would the firefighters volunteer when they see everyone else ripping the community off? If the chief is demanding a quarter of a million a year just to be a figurehead, why should the guys actually working the fires do anything for free?
Greed and corruption have ruined the American way of life.

I looked up the salary for the Chief for Denver:
[Sestrich] ended up winning that post when he was sworn in as the new fire chief. Sestrich will be paid $153,873 annually under the salary terms set by city ordinance.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Alert A+

Lora Abcarian sent out the assets list and asked me to link them for you because she will be delayed. She sent them hours ago, but I didn't have a break, either. Sorry. :?

..........PCFPD Assets..........

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:35 pm
Profile WWW