It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Huge fire at Apogea festival! 

Post Huge fire at Apogea festival!
Hi all!
My wife and I attended the Apogea festival on Bart Bergers Land on sat.(across from EOS mill by Lost Acres--close to Wellington Lake)
Every fourth campsite had a campfire.(some over 6' high.)
We saw at least 50 tiki-type torch lights.
To top it off there was a GIGANTIC "bon" fire!!!!!
It was at least 60' around its base, the flames reached well over 60' in the air!!! and the glowing embers reached high into the sky at least 100'!!!
They were burning painted plywood and trash!
You could feel the heat 100' away!!
To top that all off we could only spot ONE 2lb fire extinguisher anywhere to be seen!
No Fire dept presence...
No police presence...
These people have NO IDEA what danger they are putting us all in!!
If this is what they call "conservation" We want NO PART OF IT!!!
To hold this "Burning Man" festival within 5 miles of the worst Colorado fire in history is BEYOND STUPID and INSENSITIVE!
They should be ashamed!!

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:42 am

Post Re: Huge fire at Apogea festival!
Did you contact law enforcement or the fire department? What was their response?

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:49 pm

How did you measure that the fire was 60 ft high? Tiki lights are much safer than an open fire and usually aren't banned. They would have to have gotten a permit for the fires. You may not have seen everything or everyone there. That's Jeffco, isn't it? Wellington Lake is Jeffco. It would seem that someone would have called it in if there was as much fire as you say in the bonfire. Campfires are allowed in designated fire rings in the forest. I don't know about if this was private land. They still would have to have burn permits, wouldn't they? So the fire departments would have known about it. Did they? I'm no expert, just read the fire restrictions when they are in the headlines.

Last but not least, what did they say when you reported it? It would be terrible if they were doing all of that illegally. But it would be good to know if it was illegal before raking the group over the coals. (Pun intended) I'd rather they not burn here in this weather, but they may have taken the right steps and you just weren't aware of it.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:00 pm

It looks like another case of complaining without half the facts.

http://theflume.com/main.asp?SectionID= ... cleID=8187

"Phipps said Apogaea attendees were very conscious about fire danger and the environment, and the burning of the effigy wouldn't have taken place unless the fire danger was low.

Organizers worked with the Platte Canyon Fire Protection District in ensuring fire safety, Berger said.

In fact, smoking was not allowed except for people standing still or sitting in their cars, he said. "

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:50 pm

No answer huh IO. Another attack on people without checking things out first. What is it with people going off half-c0cked accusing people of things without even asking the simplest question? There's an awful lot of that going on around Bailey this year. So much drama, so little fact.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:21 am

I saw another place this was posted where they really bashed the landowner personally. That wasn't allowed here, it looks like. The worst part is, this group never comes back in and apologizes for defaming people without any facts. They just go crazy, bash people personally and then run and hide when the truth comes out. I guess I'll never get involved in that tea party bunch if this is how they treat people in the community. Bad news.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:02 pm

"that tea party bunch"? Huh?

Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Sorry Windchime, I shouldn't put it like that. Not the whole "tea party" but some local activists who call themselves that. A faction of that group does things like this all the time and I believe I have seen the Bailey Patriots name connected to it, haven't you? I like the national Tea Party movement. I don't think the local Bailey group quite has all its water plumbed. Just my opinion.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:03 pm

I don't like the idea of big fires around, but if they checked everything out and took care of business, there's no reason to be ranting about how evil they are. I agree - some people should check their story out before going off the deep end and blasting people. It does seem to happen a lot in the past year or so.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:25 pm