It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:06 pm

Dowaliby a Democrat? 

Post Dowaliby a Democrat?
The true colors of a person never really depart the personality. He is not a strong personality and it shows when he is asked questions that make him uneasy. There is a lot of dancing around trying to find the right words yet coming up with a dirty shoe in his mouth. Dredging up his past ineffectual performance only shines the spotlight on the truth.

He was elected primarily in 2008 because the people thought it would be helpful if he could implement his strengths in the way he did in Alma. True he did not do it on his own but he was instrumental and it did happen while he was mayor. Turns out he just faded into the background and became an ineffectual 'bored' member, unable to stand up and represent the people in the entire district in the way we deserve to be, by our commissioner. This shows in his inability to even begin to develop inroads into encouraging new small business in the county overall. We have seen nothing from him that has been meant to assist District #3, to gain any foothold in the overall governing within the county.

He doesn't have the backbone to speak out for the interests of the people here. He is so bad at public speaking it makes me cringe in embarrassment for him. My motherly advice for him; "stick to what you know and don't bring up the bad stuff again and again because it only digs your hole deeper." He seems stuck in the Alma arena because it is a laid back and comfortable lifestyle. Maybe he could be Mayor again if the tables turn on the Wissels.

In the past months he has been in office he has done nothing to promote the cause for District #3. He rides along on the Bailey Commissioners wagon like they are the grown-ups and he doesn't know how to stand up on his own. When it comes to the board decisions he looks to the other two for a lead, instead of thinking about the people he is there to represent.

He won over Silly Lilly by a great margin in 2008 but this time there will be much more intense competition. He might get more votes and more backing if he returned to his true party of choice. There are no Democrats running so at least he would have the advantage of being the only one on the ballot. He lost to Doc McKay in the 2006 election after changing his affiliation to get on the ballot. I don't remember what the percentages were but apparently enough to encourage him to try again in 2008. He beat Silly Lilly hands down because the county knows when they see the least destructive candidate. It was better to elect a turtle that hides inside it's shell, rather than a Wyoming ground squirrel that eats it's roadkill kinfolk, when it came to in-home and even homeland security.

I know which side my bread is buttered on, do you?

Tue May 04, 2010 7:52 am

Post Re: Dowaliby a Democrat?
It's too late for Dowaliby to run as a Democrat. Leni Walker and John Tighe had him switch parties back in the day, didn't they? They wanted him on the board because they thought they could control him. Maybe it backfired, but not in a good way for anybody. The commissioners are now at each others' throats and the sheriff is fighting with them too. It's a circus for all of them.

There is only one sensible choice. We need a commissioner who isn't connected to the current "regime" either past or present. That's Monica Jones. She is not obligated to anybody in there so she will work for the people. She's the one who scares them so she's the one we need.

Thanks for pointing that out VTSTR! :bowdown: I'm not going to sell out to get my bread buttered. I want the best representation for the county.

I have to say, though, I'd rather have Mark than Silly. So if he gets his signatures, I'll probably vote for him in the primary.

Tue May 04, 2010 8:07 am

I think Monica Jones is too much of an activist to function as a commissioner. She is busily pointing out all the mistakes she thinks the present administration is making but she has no realistic solutions. The thing is, one can't judge the elected officials from this perspective because we are not privy to the inner workings of the office. I guess I believe in constructive criticism which can lead to changes being made. But I don't believe in the sort of harassment thing that Monica is into. It sort of reminds me of the Obama administration causing chaos and unrest in order to get things passed before anyone has a chance to object. She will be bored with the job quickly because it will be just a job confined to the legal restrictions of the office. So she will find out why the present commissioners do what they do alright.

There is not much information out there about Samantha Bertin. I think she is more down to earth and more likely to see things from the peoples point of view. She definitely is not in it for the power trip like Silly Lilly is. I like the fact that Samantha is new 'blood' and will be focused on doing what is right for the county, and not be influenced by the good old boys strong arm tactics. She definitely has more backbone than Dowaliby has shown, and could stand up to the other commissioners when necessary to get things done for this area. So far she is sailing along, meeting people and listening to them, collecting signatures and planning for her campaign.

Wed May 05, 2010 7:04 pm

I'm not sure I read that right. You think Monica Jones is too much of an activist? You mean like the way she took action to expose what the county was spending our money on, took action to get the county to start following the law, exposed their secret Tuesday meetings? That kind of "too much" activism? #-o

She has accomplished more in a month than Silly or any other commissioner did in two years in the office.

Monica Jones is the only one out there taking the heat and making things happen. I suppose others will now start trying to follow in her footsteps, but the people here aren't going to forget who stuck their neck out and took the first bold step. Everybody else will just be a follower. We don't want another follower in office.

Samantha is probably very nice, but she has no history of fighting the fight or getting anything done. She is the daughter or stepdaughter of a former commissioner and that's about it, I think. That doesn't tell us if she can do anything to clean the mess up. Monica has the goods and the scars to prove it.

Wed May 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Back to the topic at hand... You are misinformed as to the timing of Mark's switching affiliation. He changed in 2006 when he was encouraged to run as Jim Gardners' replacement, when Jim became too ill to run for another term. Must have been a two year term, I don't recall, do you? That was before Doc McKay decided he would run for the office as well. So Mark and Doc were the choices that year, with Doc being the winner.

Then Mark ran against Lillian in 2008 and won by a LARGE PROPORTION THAT SHE CAN'T REMEMBER!!! Short term memory loss is no problem when the ego leads the way. Maybe this is how we are shown where her head is at? She definitely isn't into representing the people of District #3.

I still think Samantha Bertin, has more going for her than any of them. As she says in her flyer, she has a real-life perspective to bring to the office and to the people of the county. She has lived through the toughest of times and experienced through the years the good and bad and has survived because she can learn and adapt to anything thrown her way. She believes her experience and level-headedness will be a benefit to the people she will represent from the office. She wants to find ways to use what we have more efficiently before spending more money to build new spaces for libraries and communication centers and county offices. This speaks of resourcefulness and ingenuity like we haven't seen in a long time. She has been a small business owner all her adult life as a necessity to survival in this economically challenged area. She would like to see improvement in the county's encouragement of small businesses as a way to keep more revenue within our county. She has diligently home-schooled her three children, all of whom have excelled at learning. Her husband Larry, continues as, The Painter, of houses, both inside and out, and cuts mass firewood in the off season.

I'm waiting for the August 10 Primary before I make my decision final.

Fri May 07, 2010 7:37 am

theVTSTR wrote:
Back to the topic at hand... You are misinformed as to the timing of Mark's switching affiliation. He changed in 2006 when he was encouraged to run as Jim Gardners' replacement, when Jim became too ill to run for another term. Must have been a two year term, I don't recall, do you? That was before Doc McKay decided he would run for the office as well. So Mark and Doc were the choices that year, with Doc being the winner.

Yes, the topic is titled Dowaliby a Democrat, not I'm Campaigning for Samantha. But I digress. Dowaliby ran against Doc McKay when Jim Gardner dropped out of the assembly race in 2006 before he was named the candidate for the party. It was a full 4-year term that Jim would have run for re-election for. Lillian wasn't running, she was just serving out the year as an appointee that year. And I'm not misinformed - that was the election I was talking about. Do you remember that Tighe and Walker were the other two commissioners then? As you seem to be close to Samantha and republishing her campaign flyer text here, I'd think you'd know about the Jim Gardner situation in 2006 since that's Samantha's family.

theVTSTR wrote:
Then Mark ran against Lillian in 2008 and won by a LARGE PROPORTION THAT SHE CAN'T REMEMBER!!! Short term memory loss is no problem when the ego leads the way. Maybe this is how we are shown where her head is at? She definitely isn't into representing the people of District #3.

That's true. And Lillian ran as an incumbent because she was appointed again to fill the year out when Doc McKay died. Except this time, she wanted to run for the office. Mark petitioned to the ballot and won the primary. Tighe and Walker were still commissioners during that campaign and Tighe was running for re-election. The Undersheriff's wife was Mark's campaign chairman, I think. The Sheriff's department supported Mark.

theVTSTR wrote:
I still think Samantha Bertin, has more going for her than any of them. As she says in her flyer, she has a real-life perspective to bring to the office and to the people of the county. She has lived through the toughest of times and experienced through the years the good and bad and has survived because she can learn and adapt to anything thrown her way. She believes her experience and level-headedness will be a benefit to the people she will represent from the office. She wants to find ways to use what we have more efficiently before spending more money to build new spaces for libraries and communication centers and county offices. This speaks of resourcefulness and ingenuity like we haven't seen in a long time. She has been a small business owner all her adult life as a necessity to survival in this economically challenged area. She would like to see improvement in the county's encouragement of small businesses as a way to keep more revenue within our county. She has diligently home-schooled her three children, all of whom have excelled at learning. Her husband Larry, continues as, The Painter, of houses, both inside and out, and cuts mass firewood in the off season.

And here's where you get back off topic but to where you came in here to go. Nothing you say here is anything that all the others don't have in their background except maybe for the home schooling. Not too many people have that much free time at home and some think it's not the best way to educate kids because it can be limited by what the parent knows. The other candidates have been in business and they all have "real life" experience, don't you think? They have survived because otherwise they wouldn't be here running, and her husband cutting wood just doesn't seem relevant to anything. Monica Jones has more business experience, more training, more work experience and works as a volunteer with kids in school as well as raising her own. So, as good as you say Samanth is, maybe Monica is all that and a much better choice. She believes most of what Samantha does, knows a lot more about it, and is better equipped to carry it out.

theVTSTR wrote:
I'm waiting for the August 10 Primary before I make my decision final.

Well --- if you say so. ;)

You can support your candidate in the primary, if she makes it that far, and then vote for Monica in November. :D

Fri May 07, 2010 9:23 am

Home-schooling is much more than public schooling because the child gets one-on-one teaching directly from someone who loves them and is invested in their becoming well educated people. The homeschooling parent obtains the books and materials from an accredited education system and does not teach only what they know. They follow a curriculum as any teacher does and there are plenty of online resources for answers to questions and difficulties that might arise. They report to the state board of education and receive instruction from them as necessary. The social aspect of home-schooling does leave some room for criticism, however, in my opinion. The children don't experience the realities of groups of children playing, fighting and spending extended periods of time together. They don't have opportunity to learn to 'bounce' off other kids and adjust their personalities accordingly. It is often harder for them when they get out in the real world after a period of sheltered formative years. You know about the preachers daughter syndrome? Sort of like that ...

In reference to your last posting, you definitely come off as having the upper hand in this conversation. Always conscious of the topic heading and the direction my responses are taking. I am sure of where you stand and I also hear what you are saying. That doesn't mean I agree with what you say or think that you are accurate in your memory of the history of the political climate in Park County. What about 25 year old Don Staples? He was there before John Tighe, with Leni Walker and Jim Gardner. John Tighe was elected by the county voters twice in spite of all some say is wrong with him. Must have had something going for him. Why do people forget that the elected officials were put there by a majority vote? The government does not choose our commissioners, sheriff, clerk or treasurer, etc., we do by getting involved and voting. It is our responsibility to keep them on track and responsive to our wishes. Attend meetings that deal with topics you are interested in changing and give some constructive input. If you have any solutions to problems you see bring them to the floor when the time is pertinent. Grousing and complaining relieves your emotional floodgates but it does nothing to make changes. This year the political climate has more people wanting to get involved and wanting to do something to make things different, and I see that as a good thing.

Park County certainly needs to under go some serious changes. I think it would be good the split the county into north of Kenosha and South Park. Bailey has all the people and all the voice and South Park has all the property taxes and the incorporated town/county seat. Bailey is influenced as a bedroom community for Denver and thrives on that level which is foreign to the more country attitude in the Park. We could then govern ourselves in the manner in which we are accustomed to living w/o interference form those on the other side who don't understand or agree. How do you like that for topic shattering?

Fri May 07, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm not attacking or defending home schooling so I'm not sure what the long dissertation was about. I simply think it's irrelevant to being a county commissioner. The experience of dealing with small, petulant children might come in handy with our current leadership, but not much help other than that.

I just heard today that Monica was chosen by the South Park High School graduating class to be the speaker at their commencement! \:D/ The kids there must like her, anyway.

Don Staples is also not relevant to our previous discussion. The great advantage to this internet thingy is that you can look stuff up. :p You don't have to trust my memory of history of politics in Park County. You can go look up the records and find that I am right. We were talking about who was commissioner when Dowaliby ran for office. Tighe was elected in 2004 and replaced Staples in Jan 2005. Doobie ran in 2006 and 2008. Walker and Tighe were commissioners both times he ran for office. And Jim Gardner, Samantha's father, endorsed Mark Dowaliby when Jim dropped out of the race in 2006. That's in news articles, too.

Samantha has administration ties and family history of backing Dowaliby. Monica Jones doesn't have ties to other family regimes in the county government. That's what I like about Jones so far along with her clear, knowledgeable answers, and her willingness to step up to the plate and do the hard stuff.

And look how fast Mark got the method of publishing credit card charges changed! You have to give him credit for that, right? (no pun intended)

Fri May 07, 2010 4:45 pm