It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Video of Debate in Hartsel 7/8/10 

Post Video of Debate in Hartsel 7/8/10
Video of the debate in Hartsel 7/8/10 is now available - http://[another website].com/Forums/video.php?page=3

Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:14 am

Post Re: Video of Debate in Hartsel 7/8/10
Thanks jf. Very quick work. You're going to spoil us. :D

Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:23 am

The Boy Wonder Baby Davey is well-coached by the cowbird, again. You can tell he was practiced for all of these questions and had his answers memorized (drummed into his head) and rehearsed. He was getting a little irritated this time around. The establishment really seems to WANT this kid to be in the place of arresting the sheriff, if that should ever be necessary. The kid isn't suitable for this. He's just too immature with his answers memorized like a school kid.

Davey also says that he should be elected because his family has been living off the county for five generations.

Sorry - it's just too obvious to me. Tammy Davis has education and experience, the kid just has his tables memorized and a family that's a friend of the established dynasties. And he's starting to sound like a petulant child. I'm decided.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Forgot to say that the kid also says he should be coroner because his aunt died and he was there.

Is this county for real? Does the electorate have any sense?

Fifth generation living off the county taxpayer.
My aunt died and I was there.

(I am sorry about the aunt, but he shouldn't be given this job. He's too immature.)

Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Fred is misrepresenting the audit, again. Mike says he wants an independent audit. This is a good idea and Fred's dismissal of it is misleading and suspicious. He'd be one of the last people on earth to understand an audit. #-o

Fred says that they have an audit every year and they are told they are "spending the money where they should". The auditor doesn't express an opinion on if they're spending the money smart. The auditor looks to see if there are records for all of it. That's it. The auditor might make a suggestion or two, like when he admonished the county to stop letting people use the county credit card for personal expenses, but he doesn't decide whether the office is spending wisely. If they pay half a million for food, he makes sure the invoices exist and the payments really went to the companies that sell food. He doesn't necessarily say "Gee, that's a lot of money to feed 50 prisoners!"

The auditor is the same person year after year after year and hired by the county, not the people. If he wants to keep the county as a client, he has to make them happy. That's why it's always good to change auditors on a regular basis so one auditor doesn't get tunnel vision or get too friendly with the commissioners and finance director and try to protect his contract whether intentionally or not. Auditors aren't supposed to be popular. They're supposed to be analytical and tough. It doesn't sound to me, from the meetings he's had, that he's being anything but a friend to the spenders without a lot to say. Reminds me of the fire department "auditors" who aren't, really. With a finance director that appears to not understand her job, this is a dangerous situation. They should hire an established, experienced firm and get honest feedback. As it is, they fired the established firm, tried a few individual guys on for size, and picked a guy they liked.

Fred glosses over some complex issues with a dismissive tone of voice, like we're stupid for thinking it's something we'd like to know about. The current auditor probably doesn't like hearing there may be a new professional looking over his past work, either.

Some of the audio I couldn't understand. Either an echo, or candidates not speaking clearly, I'm not sure. But I missed chunks of what was said in some places. All in all, though, a great service that 285 is doing by putting these online. Thanks.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:40 pm

I didn't hear anything new from the Sheriff candidates. No points really made except what Beanie said about Wegener trying to avoid any "extra" looks at his books. From what I've seen, I can't blame him.

Why are those vehicles they're auctioning off listed as a Sheriff auction? Are they running that through the jail where they dump everything? Those aren't sheriff vehicles. Weird stuff from Freddie this year.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Quote:
Why are those vehicles they're auctioning off listed as a Sheriff auction? Are they running that through the jail where they dump everything?

Probably an attempt to boost the look of the revenue line for the jail. Even if it isn't really jail income, they might put it there anyway to cover Fred's ass. It's like how they take expenses that are really sheriff expenses and hide it in somebody else's budget so his reports don't look so bad. As bad as they look, you're not seeing all they're spending, sorry to say. They have removed some of their costs and buried them in other budgets.

If this was a business, the SEC would have shut them down and thrown them in jail years ago. Get a real finance director that doesn't lie about her education and make us pay for classes that do her no good, an outside experienced, licensed auditor, and you'll finally know what's going on. Even if you don't want to. They play with shuffling money all over the place. You can't compare one year of one department to another year of a department because they very unprofessionally move things without reason to another part of the financial reports, apparently to hide it. I've seen several cost line amounts "disappear" from one year to another. Did you ever wonder, for instance, why each department's cars aren't charged in their own budget? They are all lumped together and buried in the fleet costs of R&B. Makes R&B look poor but it's really all the people using taxpayer cars for personal trips and not wanting it to show up in a line.

Show of hands, boys and girls. How many of you knew that your coroner always drove her county car to North Dakota, Denver, the airport for her kids, all family trips, and is now commuting weekly back and forth to her husband and new home in New Mexico in a county car that we pay for? Anybody? Where do you suppose that cost and maintenance is buried in the financials?

Same as Fred's captain that commutes to Westminster <> Fairplay every day in a county car. They're eating the budgets alive with severe over use of county equipment and resources for their own personal benefit. That includes your "Kid Kintz" ~ County Coroner Candidate and his five generations of family. They wouldn't have to lay off people if they would just lay off the personal use of the cars, computers, printers, offices, food, parties, lunches, cell phones, shipping costs, and so on. That could save us millions. The county government should be called Elected Party Gluttons.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Quote:
How many of you knew that your coroner always drove her county car to North Dakota, Denver, the airport for her kids, all family trips, and is now commuting weekly back and forth to her husband and new home in New Mexico in a county car that we pay for? Anybody? Where do you suppose that cost and maintenance is buried in the financials?

I'm going to contact a law firm with offices in Denver and New Mexico and see if we can file a suit to get the money back that has been spent by the coroner on personal use of county equipment. Sounds like it might even be embezzlement, if the particulars are right. At least we should recover about $100k in expenses for the duration of her time in office?

Maybe, without her ripping us off, one of those employees who provides a service could have their job back. One job lost would be her fault. One of the people laid off should get in touch with the cowbird and thank her for wasting so much money they lost their job.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Did you hear Fred say that they laid off 6 people and cut a lot from their budget but he doesn't think it will affect services??? So have we been paying 6 people we didn't need all these years and throwing away money for 12 years that he didn't need to spend to provide the services he has to provide???

:shrug: What's up with this?!?!?!?!?! Make him pay it back!!!!

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:59 pm