It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:07 pm

Video of Debate 7/14/10 in Bailey 

Post Re: Video of Debate 7/14/10 in Bailey
That endorsement from the "Tax Hike Queen" should seal the deal. For Tammy, that is. :)

Silly Lilly should never be allowed near money. Especially mine!

I don't think Mike has said what he wants the auditors to look for. I haven't seen any specific numbers that he's tracked down and made issue with. He says that the jail is spending millions over what it's making and he would like to know why. Not trusting what the jail is spending has been on a lot of minds. I wonder why Fred keeps saying he has 17 million in revenue. Doesn't he know that doesn't mean anything if he spent 27 million to get it? He must be pretty stupid about bottom lines. Maybe that's the explanation for why the jail is in such financial trouble. If that's their example of management experience, I'd say it stinks.

Windchime, do you know some of the "crazies"? They even attack other supporters of Mike now. Can anything be done? (I'm not trying to associate you with them, it just sounded like maybe you knew about them and could suggest something. It's going to be a sad loss, I think.)

Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:12 am

No, I don't know the crazies but am familiar with their "type". And yes, it appears that if one isn't as rabid as they are they go after them, too. It's a bully mentality. Ironic, isn't it, that they employ the very tactics they decry in the current regime. I think that at this point there's nothing that can be done.

I refuse, however, to abstain from voting because some people appear insane. For Fred to be re-elected because I didn't vote is equivalent to my having voted for him. I can't tell you what Mike will do once in office, but he can't be worse than what we've had for 12 years, and I honestly believe he will be better.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:54 pm

Windchime, you sound like a voice of reason. Way better than me! :p

It still bugs me that they could be on his "citizens committee" and run wild attacking people from that position. Look at how they attack people who haven't done anything but ask a question or make a comment! You're right. They are acting like the people they say they oppose.

What a mess. I think that's been said already. :sadly:

Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:35 pm

I disagree that leaving that race blank on the ballot is a vote for Fred any more than it's a vote for Mike. It's a vote of "none of the above" and keeps me from racking up a vote count for somebody I don't want. And at this point, I don't think either of them should have the office. They should get low vote counts if they aren't trusted.

Sky - agreed. If we had a citizens committee of those people, it could be worse than the department we have now. Or at least no better. Just different bullies in charge or having influence. It's not a comfort that those are the ones Mike picked to have on his committee. Some of them used to work for the SO and might expect their jobs back if Mike wins. (8o

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:13 pm

Well then, if we expect better things for this county, we individually need to contact Mike and voice our concerns. Talking about it here is good for focusing our thoughts but ineffective if we want Mike to know what we think.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:23 pm

I don't know, Windchime. Some of us have learned the hard way. If you question Fred, you're in danger of getting harassed by his badge-heavy goons. If you question Mike, you get attacked by his crazies. Both of them give sharp answers sometimes like they're too great to be questioned and their s--t doesn't stink. They won't stand for their followers to be questioned. I don't see much difference. Neither has any leadership ability that I can see. Just craziness around them.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:37 am

And so, like sheep, we just sit and wait for whatever the crazies on each side decide?

* "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." Thomas Jefferson

"Simple: All a bad person needs to become a leader is for the good people to do nothing." Wikiquote

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:39 am

So we are to choose a tyrant? Is that something like "pick your poison"? :shrug:

I'm hardly a sheep and the others here don't seem to be, either. However, I don't believe in rewarding dishonesty, cowardice and bad behavior. My vote is very valuable and if I choose to not give it away to a person I don't think should have it, that's my right. That's a vote. Besides, Fred's people, for all their faults I know of, haven't attacked me personally. Mike's people have. So which way would you go if you were me?

I'm not remaining silent. I'm objecting to both of them.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:53 am

Now you've got me scratching my head, opine. Good points to think about. If Mike put those people on his committee, does that mean that's the kind of people he'd hire and give badges to?

They have been yelling for months that the whole $673,000 Visa bill that Monica Jones got hold of was all the Sheriff's spending. They almost caused a riot over it even when people were trying to tell them the truth. Just glancing through it, I don't see much that is spent by the sheriff. Months after the bill was made public and anybody could look at it, they were still yelling and telling anybody who would listen that it was all Fred's in spite of how clear it was that they were wrong. When people just want to ignore all of the facts and throw fits with false information, who would want them connected to the sheriff, of all offices?

I'm wondering too, opine. Thanks for the points you made.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:50 am

Sorry to confuse people. My answer was to opine and InsideOut and I only typed in one name. I don't have editing. My bad.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:09 am

I agree those are good points to consider.

Regarding the crazies -- they're a bunch of mouthy, truth-challenged people. Numbers-wise, about how many would you say there were? Not many, actually, but their noise makes them seem legion. Has Mike said he'd put them on his committee? Or are they doing their same trick and assuming that they have the power to put themselves on it? And are we accepting their claim to the committee as fact, knowing that they are unable to see facts?

Opine, I neither called you a sheep nor did I say to choose a tyrant. Please step back from your frustration with the whole situation and re-read my post. How you use your vote is your choice, but don't mis-interpret what I posted.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:14 am

Windchime, I read your post the same way - that if we decided to purposely withhold our vote, we were sheep. So maybe the post was unclear and opine was not out of line. In any case, let's not get hung up in us arguing about who meant what in a sheep-remaining-silent post.

The crazies said they would be on Mike's citizen committee and they said they couldn't wait until they could have input into the way the SO works. Mike has not said that they wouldn't be allowed on the committee and he hasn't said he wouldn't hire them back to the department if he wins. If they were put on his campaign committee, why wouldn't he put them on his citizen committee? It's more likely that he will than won't, looks like to me.

I appreciate everyone's points and discussion. It's helping.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:55 am

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

At the meeting last night Mike was asked about his proposed Citizen's Committee and what the criteria was for being on the committee. First off, this is not a Citizens' Review Committee and has nothing to do with the running of the SO. Anyone applying would be subject to a background check. Per Mike it is intended to be a group of people (actually possibly 4 area groups around the county since we conceivably have different issues) who would bring problems and concerns to the attention of the Sheriff. Say I am upset with the speeds of cars on my road. I would bring it up with the Sheriff myself OR contact the Advisory Committee and hand it off to them. If any of the crazies were to be chosen for the committee I can't imagine any of them sticking with it.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks for the update, but I don't understand. That isn't what Mike said the committee was going to be. If you can go straight to the Sheriff, why would anybody go through the committee? I thought he said the committee was going to keep an eye on how the Sheriff's people handled their work in the county to try to prevent the problems we have now. I don't think I misunderstood him that much. The committee people also understood it the same way because they said they would have input into how the department handles things. He sure lead some of us to believe that it was going to be a review committee.

Just a background check? I don't think that's going to help very much. And I find that the crazies are just the types that would get in there and never leave.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:43 pm

285alive wrote:
Thanks for the update, but I don't understand. That isn't what Mike said the committee was going to be. If you can go straight to the Sheriff, why would anybody go through the committee? I thought he said the committee was going to keep an eye on how the Sheriff's people handled their work in the county to try to prevent the problems we have now. I don't think I misunderstood him that much. The committee people also understood it the same way because they said they would have input into how the department handles things. He sure lead some of us to believe that it was going to be a review committee.

Just a background check? I don't think that's going to help very much. And I find that the crazies are just the types that would get in there and never leave.

At the meeting last night?

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:19 pm

No, I didn't hear what he said last night. This was a long time ago.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:48 pm

Oh, ok. Check out the video of last night -- what I posted is his answer to the question about Citizens' Committees. Let me know what you think.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:03 pm